Sunday, 23 June 2013

Book Review: The Selection, The Elite & The Prince - Kiera Cass

So as an after exam treat I decided I wanted to read something which I thought I wouldn't get too invested in, just a simple book which I could relax with. Instead, I ended up reading the Selection in order to finish it and got completely hooked. That day I started reading at around 19:00 and didn't stop reading until 2:30 the next morning, making my way through both of the books which are out in the trilogy as well as the short novella from the Prince's point of view.

So what happens?

Goodreads plot overview: For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.
But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

What did I think of the books Individually?

The Selection (The Selection 1)

I loved this book, it completely drew me in, I loved the whole concept and just could not put it down, I found the character development to be spot on for the plot and the pace and I was completely in love with all of them. I loved seeing America's spark being kept and how the relationship between her and the prince is so perfectly done for how someone should react upon the first few times meeting someone they're supposed to fall at the knees of when they've never met *inner monologue* well.... maybe without the violence... *reverts to normal speech*. I gave The Selection a 5/5*'s.

The Elite (The Selection 2)

I equally loved The Elite, the second I finished The Selection I moved straight onto The Elite and ate every part of it up, I loved seeing how the relationships played out and how the struggles America is experiencing are presented. I also loved seeing how the attacks affected the palace and the relationship developments between Maxon and America as he shared his history with his father. It'll be very interesting to see how it plays out in the next book. I gave it a 5/5*'s.

The Prince (The Selection 0.5)

It was so, so lovely to see the first part of the time period of The Selection from Maxon's point of view. Although, I did think it was very short I thoroughly enjoyed seeing how he behaved before the selection and a better insight into his world without others present when around his parents. It was particularly lovely to see America from his point of view but I think I might have boiled over with anger over the other girls... Overall it was a very sweet short story and a refreshing break whilst still maintaining the same world. I gave it a 5/5*'s.

What did I think overall?


I'm absolutely in love with this trilogy, I picked up the first book, the selection, in-between a reading slump and just couldn't get into anything I picked up and consequently didn't have as much got through as I normally would have. I was planning on finishing Feed during my exams also but ended up reading in the car waiting to pick my sister up and read this on my phone. Needless to say I vowed to finish this first and could not stop once I picked it up again.
*Possible spoilers, sorry!*
The character of America is wonderful and it was so nice to not see her thought process completely change after she is chosen. Although I did get very frustrated with the love triangle that wasn't a love triangle going on, it was infuriating to see her flick between which she preferred and if I'm being honest, I would have preferred it if the original love interest had just stayed at home and not been chosen. That way she could have figured it out more so on her own and not had the influence of both pulling on her. I'm hoping the conclusion to the trilogy will balance this out for me!

All in all, I would still say this was a wonderful trilogy for me to start and get back out of this reading slump with! Although there were major points within the novels which I disagreed with, I'm giving the first 2 books in the trilogy & the novella a 5/5*'s each for the enjoyment they gave me, I can only hope the final book does not disappoint me!

If you've read the selection trilogy, please let me know your thoughts!
Heather x

No comments:

Post a Comment